There are so many methods of cooking a turkey, it can be confusing even to an experienced cook. Below is Zorn’s method which has proved successful over the many years to prepare a tender juicy turkey.
Figure 1- 1/2 pounds of uncooked turkey for each person to be served.
1. For any cooking pre-heat oven.
REMOVE PLASTIC TIE ON LEGS BEFORE COOKING
2. Rinse turkey thoroughly in cold water. Use our famous roasting spice inside and outside before placing in oven.
3. WE RECOMMEND ROASTING OUR TURKEY IN 325° OVEN, BREAST DOWN ON
A V-TYPE ROASTING RACK IN A SHALLOW PAN CONTAINING AN INCH OF WATER.
Cooking the turkey breast down allows the natural juices to self-baste the breast meat. Cover turkey with aluminum foil during roasting period. For final browning, discard foil and turn turkey breast up for last 20-30 minutes. (Suggestion: Use Hot Gloves for turning.)
V-type roasting rack available in our store or in any department or hardware store
4. Cooking Times:
• For turkeys 16 lbs and under allow approximately 17 minutes per lb.
• For turkeys over 16 lbs allow approximately 14 minutes per lb.
Time should be allowed to let bird stand 20-30 minutes before carving. Not only will the meat slice much easier, this will also permit the juices to be absorbed evenly resulting in a tender, more tasty turkey. For stuffed turkey use total weight of turkey with stuffing.
5. Our turkeys are naturally self-basting and when roasted breast down, do not require repeating basting. Turkey should be checked after approximately 2 1/2 hours and heat can be adjusted if necessary.
6. Use a reliable meat thermometer to check doneness. Thermometer placement is important, insert thermometer point in thigh meat but not touching the bone. Bird will be done when thermometer reads 180° F.
Click here for a printable pdf of instructions >>how to cook a turkey